- John 21 - a bonus clip! The resurrection of Jesus makes the ordinary extraordinary
- Work: futility to fruitfulness
- Meals: consumption to communion
- Relationships: comparison to compassion
- What Mystery?
- He is Risen . . . Now what?
1. Was it really a “triumph”?
2. Mandates of Passover
3. The Real Sacrificial Lamb
4. It’s All Been Building to This
A Peek Behind the Curtain
Who He Is
What He’s Done
What He Wants
The Promise of Hostility
The Reasons for Hostility
Responding to Hostility
The Benefit of Hostility
Providence amid Hostility
- Humanity's "Fruit": Loneliness
- Humanity's Answer
- Jesus' "New Commandment"
- How to Do It
Peter: “I will lay down my life for you”
o We set unrealistic expectations for ourselves
Thomas: “Howe can we know the way if we don’t know where you are going”
o We try to solve every single mystery as it pertains to God and faith
Phillip: “Let us see the Father, and then we will be content”
o We bargain with God trying to force his hand
Judas: “Why don’t you just reveal yourself to the whole world
o We critique God’s method
Promises of Jesus in John 14
- I am preparing a place for you in my Father’s house and I will bring you there
- I am the way the truth and the life
- I am in the Father and the Father is in me. If you have seen me you have seen the Father
- I will do whatever you ask in my name, even greater than what’s been done, so that the Father may be glorified
- The advocate, the Spirit of truth, I will send you and will be in you
- Peace I give to you and peace I leave with you
- The ruler of this world has no power over me
- I will not abandon you, but I will come to you
People v. Death
Jesus v. Death
People v. Jesus and Death
Jesus and People v. Death
1. Overview of John 7-8: Jesus comes to Jerusalem during the Feast of Booths and makes several dramatic claims about himself, leading to heated debates. Ultimately, he accuses the people of deadly self-deception and offers them a way out.
2. The Nature of Self Deception
3. The Elements of Self Deception
4. The Clearing of Self Deception
- Continue in His Word
- Do What Abraham Did
- Lift Him Up, and See
The Son and His Father
The Father Gives To the Son
The Father Gives Through the Son
The Father Gives the Son
A New Social Reality: Implications of the Father and Son for you and me
Those sorry “Bornagains!”
Born Into the Kingdom
Born of Water
Born of Spirit
Born into Life
1. John's unique emphasis
2. Unspoken "I Am's"
3. Where else can we go?
1. Come and See: How have you experienced Jesus in 2017?
2. Found: In what way did Jesus come find you in 2017?
3. You WILL See: What do you anticipate, hope or pray to see of Jesus in 2018?
Risky Gifts and The Cosmic Family Gift Exchange
The World’s relationship with the Word
The Word’s gift to the World
The Search for Self
Who John is
Who John isn’t
Who we aren’t
Who we are
This is He
The Need for Order
Order and Connection
The Temptations of Order
The Invitation of Order
Questions to Consider and Discuss
1. Which attributes of God are you most grateful for?
2. Which blessings have you received from the Father you are grateful for?